Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Well things are rolling along now

I started in on the new book again the other night. "New" is a relative term here. I've been working on Passages now for three years already. I can't believe it's three years since I started and I'm not even halfway to the finish line on this one. Too many subplots. I need a road map to keep it all straight.

I also realized, to my dismay, that it was a year ago this week that I started writing "Redamntion" (yes I made that word up.) I went back to re-read what I had started and I really like the story. I was moving along really great on that one too. I stopped working on it near the end of January, when I got laid off.

Now, logic would dictate that being out of work should have meant I had all kinds of time to write. And I did have all kinds of time. So why didn't I write? I did, a little. I worked on Passages, fully planning to get the whole thing knocked out before the end of the summer. I was rolling pretty good for a couple of months. I don't remember what triggered me to stop, but I recall opening the word processor one day, and realized that the muse had clammed up again.

So now I'm working for a living again, thank goodness, and enjoying it greatly. My days are busy, and I am going to bed at a descent hour. My time is filled -- so of course it means it's time to write. Yup, the muse is back, and he's demanding my attention, even though I do not have the time I need to be his scribe. Why does that happen?

I have now got four novels in the works, none of them related to each other. I think I'll put together an anthology and call it, The Great Unfinished Works of Lorrieann Russell.

Chapter One: The Last Ballad of Amelia White; begun in June of 2002, and languishes at 72,305 words.
Chapter Two: Farewell Arcana; begun November of 2002 because I couldn't work on Amelia anymore. This one is stalled at 50,253 words, but I really like the story!
Chapter Three: Passages; the last installment of my published series. You'd think I would get that one done just so I can have the whole set.
Chapter Four: Redamntion: begun last year on a lark. Maybe it will turn into a short story.

There are also a couple of others that I've started, and abandoned. How did I ever put 180,000 words together for that first book?


1 comment:

  1. Darlin', you're probably tired of hearing me say it, but that's how Diana Gabaldon works. So...we'll start building time, if you want.

    And as I recall, you wrote that first book by staying up to 2 and 3 in the morning. You were unemployed at the time. We'll find that time for you. I promise.

    ReplyDelete